The Oz Film
A look at the Oz Film Manufacturing Company building
With the founding members of The Oz Film Manufacturing Company, they purchased a plot of land between Lodi Place (formerly Lodi Street) and North Gower Street. Here they erected a studio to create Oz films utilizing the new entertainment of the time, the moving picture. Their first picture was The Patchwork Girl Of Oz (1914), it was based off of the novel of the same name. Baum had already adapted the story into a children's play but quickly made it into a movie script. Paramount agreed to release this movie, but after doing so terribly at the box office they declined any other movie from the company. The Oz Film Manufacturing Company released six movies (The Patchwork Girl Of Oz, The Magic Cloak Of Oz, His Majesty, The Scarecrow Of Oz, The Last Egyptian, The Gray Nun Of Belgium, and four one-reelers released as the "Violet's Dreams" series). They tried to rebrand as the Dramatic Feature Films, but it was too late and they were forced to close its doors and sold to Metro Pictures, which became MGM.
This is private property now. Please do not trespass.
1116 Lodi Place
Los Angeles, California
The studio is no longer there